Monday, February 23, 2015

IndoctriNation Public Schools and the Decline of Christianity in America DVD Review



IndoctriNation by Great Commission Films is a documentary that is about public schools and the decline of Christianity in America. In this documentary Colin Gunn takes his homeschooled family across the United States in a school bus that was purchased off of Craigslist. While on this educational tour he stops many different places to try and answer many questions about public education:
  • The hotly debated question among Christian parents: should we protect our children by withdrawing them from the public schools or should we leave them in the system to try to influence schools for the better?
  • Who established the American public school system?
  • Are my kids physically and morally safe in the schools?
  • Are the public schools religiously neutral?
  • Should Christians try to be "salt and light" in public schools?
  • Can the public school system be fixed or redeemed?


Lately there has been a rise in sexual sin, abortions, drug & alcohol abuse, and violence in public schools. It doesn't come to me as a surprise when Christianity has been banned from the public schools. When Christ is taken out of schools morality seems to be thrown out the window. The Bible and Christ's teachings about morals and values should be a key foundation to education. This foundation is broken when God, Christ, and Biblical teachings are removed. Things just start to crumble.

If you go far back in history you will see that America started with clear Christian convictions and practices. Government's involvement was a minimal part of education. It was the family's and church's responsibility, not the responsibility of the civil government to educate their youth. Homeschooling was never considered alternative education. It is so unfortunate that government run public schools have a history of trying to replace the church and family with state and are largely successful.

I grew up going to public school. I remember saying the pledge of allegiance with my peers in the morning at school. The words Under God in the pledge was a wonderful reminder to me that God was ever present and watching over me throughout the day. I remember one school I went to had taken those words completely out of the pledge because of some students whose parents were atheist and had pressured the school board to do so. This was a school I remember that had more problems than any of the others I had gone to. I am glad that I had a firm foundation in Christ growing up, because his beautiful teachings saved me from so much peer pressure to do wrong. So many of my peers unfortunately were so impressionable that they fell into temptation. Because I had a firm foundation in Christ I tried to be a shining example to my peers to resist sin. One of my favorite scriptures in the Bible is Matthew 5:16, Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. I was trying so hard to be the salt and the light, but it was a difficult struggle because I also wanted to fit in at school. I am glad that I made the decision early out that fitting in was not as important as doing what was right.

My decision to homeschool my children was in part because of my experiences with public school and also because I wanted them to gain a greater understanding of Christ's teachings. I am thankful that I still have a choice to homeschool and that this right has not been taken from me. I am glad that I got to watch this documentary and learn some more history behind the government run public school system. This movie is a powerful testimony of why we need to homeschool our children! It is also a documentary that will open your eyes about public education.

Check out the trailer:


Follow them on Social Media:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IndoctriNationMovie
Twitter: https://twitter.com/indocmovie
Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/indoctrination
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/IndoctriNationMovie

IndoctriNation DVD Review

Crew Disclaimer

No comments: