Thursday, September 20, 2012

Green Toys Salad Set Review

Green Toys make eco-friendly toys and tableware that are made from recycled plastic milk containers. This plastic is high-density polyethylene (or HDPE) and considered one of the safest, cleanest plastics around. Their products have no Phthalates, BPA, PVC, melamine or external coatings with lead paint. Green Toys are made in the USA in California where they have very strict toy safety and environmental laws. They are packaged in recycled corrugated boxes with no plastics, cellophane or twist-ties, and are 100% recyclable. This packaging is easy to open without having wrap rage.

They have play vehicles, outdoor toys, kitchen play, building toys, and tableware. I received a Green Toys Salad Set free to review on my blog for my Holiday Gift Guide. The Green Toys Salad Set includes a serving bowl, salad plate, 2 serving utensils, 3 lettuce leaves, 3 sets of cucumbers, 2 tomatoes, 2 red peppers, onions, mushrooms, and fold-your-own oil & vinegar and salt & pepper (total of 16 pieces).

When I received it I was surprised that the salt & pepper, olive oil & vinegar were made of a flat sheet of cardboard and had to be put together with their tabs to form a 3dimentional toy. I thought that these were a bit difficult to put together and they had no instructions with them to help with construction. I guess I didn't see in their description that they were "fold-your-own". These are also not too practical for children to play with as they are easily crushed because they are hallow inside. Also if your child puts things in their mouths these will soon be goners. I do not see them lasting for very long. They are very cute though when folded into their shapes and my daughters seemed to still like them even though it frustrated them a little when one came apart or crushed under their little grips.


The serving bowl, salad plate, 2 serving utensils, 3 lettuce leaves, 3 sets of cucumbers, 2 tomatoes, 2 red peppers, onions and mushrooms were high grade plastic and very durable. These meet FDA food contact standards and are also dishwasher safe. These are interchangeable and compatible with the other kitchen sets from Green Toys. These are also stackable as they each have a fit together design.

My girls love to pretend they are cooking in their play kitchen. They constantly bring me pretend dishes they have created to "try out and taste". They loved this set. I love how the toy teaches good eating habits. So many play food sets these days have foods in them that aren't that healthy. I think teaching good habits when children are young is best. This salad is the epitome of "green". If you want your kids to eat their greens and also think green get the Green Toys Salad Set!

Bowl: 7-1/4" diameter at top, 3" at base, 2-3/4" H
Utensils: 7" L
Plate: 6-1/8" diameter
Pieces: approximately 3" W

Suggested for ages 2 years and up.

Closing thoughts: I still believe the Green Toys Salad Set is worth the purchase price even with the cardboard pieces. The pros of this toy definitely outweigh the cons. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

"Like" Green Toys on Facebook HERE. Follow Green Toys on Twitter HERE.

BUY IT
You can buy the Green Toys Salad Set on the Green Toys Website for $19.99.

DISCLOSURE/DISCLAIMER: Thanks to Green Toys for sending me product for free to review. My thoughts are mine and my family's own opinion and have not been altered by anyone else. I did not receive any other compensation for doing this review.

6 comments:

Erin said...

What an adorable set and great way to encourage your children to eat healthy foods that are great for their body! :)

Unknown said...

That's great and a great way to get kids thinking about vegetables.

Literary Winner said...

This is really cute! I know my son would absolutely love this. And it encourages healthy eating - bonus!

Kathryn Costa said...

That is so cute. My kids love to play with toys that have to do with food. Thanks for sharing!

Angie's Angle said...

how cute are those! I would have loved to have those when i was little. I loved playing kitchen.

ReviewsSheRote said...

so very cute!