Thursday, February 18, 2010

The New Rainbow Brite Review

80's cartoons, some that we hold dear to our hearts and remember fondly, have one by one been coming back. It has gotta be true that the 80's had the best things because why else would they be bringing back things like: My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake, Care Bears and now Rainbow Brite. These endearing cartoons have not only been showing up again, but they have also all been having makeovers. These makeovers have not only been seen here, but Dora the Explorer had one not too long ago to try and keep up with the growing toddlers interest. The new cartoons and merchandise all have similar re-designing characteristics. They have all been through the slenderizer. This is nothing new to the Barbie doll...who has always been slim since her debut in 1959 with her unrealistic proportions...even after the change to her waist around the year 2000. At any rate, we as parents of young children might find this all a little unwelcoming and hope that the media and marketing doesn't make our children grow up anorexic or bulimic. It seems that Hallmark tried re-marketing the 80's look of Rainbow Brite back in 2003-2004, but apparently it didn't do so well....hmmmmm I wonder if that was because most the merchandise was exclusive to Hot Topic stores in 2003 and little kids never really saw them??

But, enough of my thoughts on that. I remember Rainbow Brite when I was a little girl growing up in the 80's. I had the original 10" Rainbow Brite doll that came with her sprite Twink to Velcro to her hand. I also had her horse Starlite that was plastic with yarn hair and felted body and a Color Cottage. My sister had a Color Buggy car and her own Rainbow Brite doll with sprite plus a Lurky plush that my sister and I wished we never received as a gift. I loved playing with Starlite the most because I wished I had my own horse. I still wish I had my own horse or pony! I also thought the Color Cottage was really cool because I could put everything in it and take it with me. Possibly starting my infatuation of fabric zip-up houses that I have today :)

I was sent some information at the beginning of this year that Hallmark was at it again and were going to be releasing Rainbow Brite with a whole new look to the toy line and whole new cartoon adventures coming to DVD. I was also sent a teaser DVD and I have noticed they have changed some things in this new series. Besides her look Rainbow Brite doesn't seem to use her rainbow belt as much anymore...instead she and her friends use wands to ward off lack of color and save the world from evil. The Color Kids seem to also have been narrowed down to only two so far...Moonglow and Tickled Pink, their companion horse friends: Shimmer and Sunriser and their sprites: Nite Sprite and Twilite. Rainbow still has her horse, Starlite, and her puppy, Puppy Brite, but they have renamed her sprite Twink to Twinkle. I guess we shall see what else has been changed and what is still the same. You can go to their website for the new Rainbow Brite and see what you think. It has animated videos, a contemporary theme song, coloring pages, wallpapers, games and more. The DVD I received and watched looks like the new animated shows will have a good message. Even though I believe that the changes in appearance are a bit unwarranted, if the story is still filled with positive messages of courage, kindness, and hope I will be letting my kids watch.

Check out the newest Rainbow Brite toys. I wish I still had my Rainbow Brite doll with sprite, Starlite horse, and Color Cottage to share with my youngest daughter, Teela...she would love them!

DISCLAIMER: Thanks to MomSelect and BSM Media for giving me information about the new Rainbow Brite and for sending me a special Rainbow Brite DVD for free to watch and review. The DVD contains Rainbow Brite games and activities. They sent me a free Pak of ten (10) identical DVDs nine (9) to share with friends and family. My thoughts are mine and my family's own opinion and have not been altered by anyone else. I did not receive any other compensation for doing this review.

No comments: